If you’re installing Windows XP Service Pack 2/3 and it halts or hangs on you while it is allegedly “Checking Product Key”, you can fix it like so:
- Please go into the CMD prompt (Start/Run –> cmd.exe )
- Then type cd /d %windir%\inf and make sure we are in that directory.
- Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some error (Do not worry about it)
- Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some error (Do not worry about it)
- Then goto start – run – type “%windir%\inf” and you will see the files in the folder.
- Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and take a backup of it to desktop (by copying it to desktop) and delete the INFCACHE.1 from c:\windows\inf.
- Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and start the installation of SP2 and it should go fine.